10.24.2004

turn your back on this waiting

location . washington, dc . living room floor
temp . 52
humidity . 77%
conditions . cloudy. mostly cloudy. completely cloudy

sweet lord, thank you jesus! after a MONTH of trying to get my computer back in working condition, some sweet soul at best buy finally came through.

a month ago, while watching tornados out of a hotel window near the denver airport (no joke), the charger on my laptop died. being the astute young lady that i am, i didn't notice until my battery only had about 10 minutes of juice left. since the laptop was still under warranty, i took it to a store in ghetto, maryland as soon as i returned. they filled out a service order, instructed me to call a 1-800 number and report all the information on the service order (why they couldn't have done this themselves, i'll never know), and i'd get my new charger promptly. when i received the charger in the mail (7 days later), it was, of course, the wrong one. seems the genius at best buy noted that i had a completely different kind of computer than i actually have. when i called to report the little miscommunication, i was informed that the only way they could ship me a new one before they actually received the incorrect one back in their warehouse was for me to give them my credit card information. i did so without hesitating, and waited patiently for my prepaid shipping label and new charger to arrive. a week later, when i'd received neither, i called them back, only to discover that they lady never recorded my credit card number, and that, at this point, the only thing i could do was wait for them to issue me another prepaid shipping label, ship them the charger back to california, wait for them to acknowledge they'd received it, and send me the correct charger. this whole process would surely take at least two weeks, the lady on the phone told me. seeing as how i'm leaving for a two week business trip next week, this obviously wouldn't work. *sigh* my only solution? go back to best buy and spend $150 on a universal charger that i may or may not be able to return when i got the correct charger in the mail.

so today i made the trek out to best buy (there are none in the city) in ghetto, maryland. upon looking closely at the universal chargers, i discovered, of course, that none of them would fit my laptop. of course. i mean, they work with 98% of all laptops, why would they work with mine? out of desperation, i went to the service desk to explain my situation, hoping that maybe they could at least charge the battery for me so that i could get some files off of the computer. instead, the nice old man at the counter said they had lots of old chargers in the back, and that if he had one that fit, he'd just give it to me. that's right. give it to me. i don't even have to return it when i get the other back. sweetness! needless to say, i'm working on my laptop in the living room floor now. and, the best part, i won't have to drive around the heart of texas without my laptop next week (and the next).

for those of you who remember my computer forrays in rome (screen flickering in a dark classroom EVERYDAY), my cell phone problems in fayetteville, my palm pilot droppings in europe (all of them), or my camera being stolen in the netherlands, this certainly comes as no surprise to you. while trinity loves electronics and gadgets, she tends to drop them, sink them in water, or slam them out of frustration. but she didn't do anything wrong this time! really!

woah. i'm talking about myself in third person. creepy.

built to spill . temporarily blind

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home